Firearms Owners Against Crime

Institute for Legal, Legislative and Educational Action

Illinois Self-Defense: No one in custody after 2 dogs shot, 1 fatally, Chicago police say; SWAT situation over :: 02/08/2023

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A SWAT situation ended with no one in custody after two dogs were shot, one fatally, in Lakeview.

Chicago police said SWAT responded to the 1000-block of West George Street for reports of an armed individual in a residence.

Police said shortly before 2 p.m., a woman was walking two dogs off leash in the area of Seminary and George in Lakeview.

CPD said the dogs approached a man, and he and the dogs' owner exchanged words. Police said the man then walked around the corner into an alley and the dogs followed, at which point the man shot both of them.

Police said the woman walked around the corner and found both her dogs shot.

Leslie Balaz was in her home in a four-story walkup when she heard the unmistakable sound of gunfire.

"I looked outside and just saw the dog on the ground, obviously very hurt, and I yelled out the window and said, 'I'm coming down, I'll help,'" she said.

Officials initially said three dogs were shot, and one of them killed, but Chicago police said only two dogs were shot. One of them died, police said. The other is being treated in a nearby veterinary hospital.

By the time Balaz got downstairs, one dog had already died and the other pit bull mix was in bad shape. So was the owner, who had watched in horror.

"She was pretty worked up, shaken up, doing everything she could to help the dog," Balaz said.

She said the struggling dog cut her nose as they hoisted it into the car so the owner could rush it to an emergency veterinarian.

Chicago police said the SWAT incident ended between 6:30 and 7 p.m. Police said the shooter is not in custody, and is was confirmed to have a valid FOID card and concealed carry license.

Police said the shooter told them he was afraid and felt threatened by the dogs. He has not been charged with a crime.

CPD said officers had to go through the building to make contact with the shooter, but once they did he was cooperative.

The shooting happened near Harriet Tubman Elementary School shortly before dismissal, prompting the school to be placed on lockdown.

Students were dismissed directly to their parents and guardians, with Chicago police overseeing the dismissal process.

Firearms Owners Against Crime ILLEA © 2023

P.O. Box 308 Morgan, PA 15064

web application / database development by